Monday, February 6

A day in Amsterdam

On Saturday, my niece, mom, grandma and I took a 5-hour train ride to Amsterdam. It probably would have saved us a lot of time had we taken the Thalys but you do sort of get the feeling as if you're in your own little novel: endless snowy fields when you look out of your window, stopping in every city: it's all terribly romantic.
Upon arrival, we explored a little before heading over to the Hermitage Museum. I had never been to Amsterdam but I knew what to expect, the infamous canals and the bikes just about everywhere. Even with this weather, people braved the snow on their bikes. I had been dreading the snow on Friday but it just made the city all the more idyllic. Besides, I wore my hiking boots. It may not have been a pretty sight to see and many UGG-wearing Dutch girls gave me the stink eye but at least my feet were warm and comfy.
After the Rubens exposition at the Hermitage, we had dinner at the Rembrandtplein and Catherine, my niece, and I decided to explore the 9 Straatjes on our own for a while. Before we had to meet up with my mom and my grandma, we grabbed coffee at Screaming Beans.
My pretty niece (can you believe she's only sixteen?) bought some great stuff at Monki and COS. I on the other hand only bought the Diana camera bag at the Lomography Store. It was on my Christmas wishlist but I got it as a little exam gift to myself. I had such a lovely day but I couldn't have been happier crawling in my bed that night, ready to sleep in for the first time in two months. - x

9 comments:

Lens & anything Else said...

really love these pictures of amsterdam...I'm sure it's a great city ;)!

Lens&anythingElse

lies said...

mooie foto's :)

Anaïs said...

Achja, op sommige momenten wil je toch gewoon warme voeten in plaats van er piekfijn uit te zien? Doet me eraan denken dat ik ook nog eens naar Hermitage moet, ben er vorig jaar geweest voor Alexander de Grote.

dinamita.paquita said...

very nice pics!!

Laura said...

Wooow Lies! Zo'n leuke foto's. En wat tof, zo met je familie op mini-citytrip gaan! Ik ben vorig jaar met mijn hele familie (incl. nonkels, tantes, oma...) naar Kenya gegaan - plezant, maar niet om opnieuw te doen!
Amsterdam is toch zo'n toffe stad he? :) Ik denk dat ik er in de paasvakantie nog eens naartoe ga gaan ofzo...

Rebecca said...

Oh, it's so beautiful! Although I can barely walk on ice, let alone brave attempting a bike ride. Aww, your niece is gorgeous! I love her hair (: Enjoy your lie in Lies, they are the best! xx

BlondeMuse said...

Oh ik denk dat amsterdam echt super mooi is nu met de sneeuw, wij zijn geweest toen het constant regende dat was echt niet zo leuk... Dus ik ga nog eens terug in de zomer. xo

auxpaysdesmerveilles said...

Oh wat een prachtige foto's!
En volgens mij moet je je geen zorgen maken om blikken van meisjes die Uggs dragen haha.

Lidiya said...

Amsterdam looks gorgeous in the winter, these photos are stunning <3

http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/