Friday, May 18

Moonrise Kingdom


The Filmfestival of Ghent was brilliant enough to organize an advance screening of Wes Anderson's new flick Moonrise Kingdom yesterday and I could not not go. My friend Chloé and her boyfriend Nathan were the awesome people who agreed to come along. When I drag someone to a movie or a concert I'm always really anxious to know whether said person is having the time of his life. And I think they did.  

Well I definitely did. Moonrise Kingdom is glorious. Honestly, it's that good. I have to admit, I'm not quite a seasoned member of the Wes Anderson fandom yet. People often complain that he overuses his shtick or that he only caters to hipsters. I think that's nonsense. He obviously has a fondness for quirky characters and his own distinct niche. Couldn't the same be said about, let's say, Judd Apatow or Michael Bay? I know whose movies I'd rather watch. Next up is the hipster label. Oh the horror. I'm pretty sure that the term hipster has become so mainstream in itself that even that argument is hardly valid. Seriously, who cares.

I could get lost in the little universes he creates. I want to be Suzy. I want her Sunday school shoes. I want  a record player with the soundtrack on repeat all day. Most of all it's a love story. Edward Norton is in it. How could you not love it? I believe it opens in theatres just about everywhere next week. Go check it out!  - x

11 comments:

Hannelore said...

Oh oh ik ben de trailer gaan opzoeken ik vind het nu al prachtig! Ik rep mij zo snel mogelijk naar een filmzaal ;)

Anaïs said...

Oh my oh my, ik zag de trailer een hele tijd geleden en was 'm helemaal vergeten, ik wil 'm zo snel mogelijk zien! Ik ken niet veel van regisseurs, maar ik weet wel dat ik The Darjeeling Limited van Anderson geweldig vond - vreemd, maar geweldig, het soort film dat maanden later soms nog in mijn gedachten springt.

devorelebeaumonstre. said...

nice!

devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

Complacency Kills said...

So excited to see the screening for this next week and glad you liked it! Can't wait and thanks for sharing you're thoughts on it. P.S.- I'm also hosting a giveaway at the moment and invite you to enter if you'd like :) Check It Out Here.

xo Lindsey
Complacency Kills 

heart in a cage said...

OMG, de film waar ik het meest naar uitkijk dit jaar! Hipster of niet, ik ben dol op Anderson's films!!

~Cleo~ said...

sunds great

http://etantmoi.tumblr.com/
http://etantmoi.tumblr.com/
http://etantmoi.tumblr.com/

Annebeth said...

I LOVE wes anderson. Je moet eens letten op zijn visuele kunde, bijna ELK beeld is net een schilderijtje. Je ziet zo dat de positie van elke kleur, elke prop en elk personage inclusief hun outfits etc vantevoren uitgedacht is om een esthetische indruk over te brengen. Echt, ik word zo enthousiast van zijn films :D Moonrise Kingdom MOET gezien worden DOOR MIJN OGEN

en hipster me reet, tavi heeft daar een heerlijke post over gedaan een tijdje geleden, over het feit dat enthousiast zijn over iets al meteen als "uncool" wordt gezien. Hoe belachelijk is dat wel niet.

Noressa Henness said...

Love your blog, so interesting, and pretty, and well structured
kiss
Nores

GlamorousGirl said...

cute!!!

http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

the marant philes said...

I think what I love most about Wes Anderson movies is the color palette he sticks to in every one. Life Aquatic had such a beautiful palette that it was visually therapeutic for me while I watched the movie. My favorite from him is the Royal Tenenbaums...Am I a hipster? :) - Aliya

Steph said...

You seriously have the best. taste. We should definitely meet up some time soon!